Friday, March 22, 2013

Cherry Tomato & Roasted Beet Salad


Salad was on the menu for lunch today. Since I'll be  including seasonal fruits and vegetables in my post, I thought it'd be great to share this today. I grow cherry tomatoes each year, but they are the ones that are bright red when ripe and they have a tangy taste. On offer in this year's local horticultural show was this particular variety, a healthy green plant and just beginning to bloom. It came in a plastic bag and all I needed to do was to transfer it to a larger pot. That was towards the fag end of January.

My plant actually looked happier after last night's wind and rain.

 By February it looked mighty pleased with itself, sitting cosy in a large earthen pot. Many more blooms followed and I simply couldn't wait to see and taste the fruit. All it asked for was a couple of bamboo stakes.  No fuss at all! By mid-March the  tomatoes started to ripen. I'd expected them to be red/orange but they turned out to be golden globes of melt-in-the-mouth deliciousness. Checked online for cherry tomatoes. Was promptly informed by Ms. Google that small oval tomatoes are called either plum or grape tomatoes. What's in a name?? As long as they are a good accompaniment to a meal or a snack, I'm happy. As I was today with this salad of tomatoes, baby spinach (from my small vegetable patch), roasted beetroot and cucumber.


Ingredients:-

Cherry tomatoes        about 15

Cucumber  (small)            1

Beetroot(medium)              2

Baby spinach              a handful

Nasturtium flowers        a few

Freshly grated pepper   about half teaspoon

Salt to taste

Extra virgin olive oil


Method :-

Wrap the beets in foil and roast in a moderate oven (190*C ) for about 45 minutes. Peel and slice the cucumber. I used a mandolin slicer. Wash the baby spinach and drain in a colander. As for the tomatoes there isn't much to do. To borrow a line from Nigella, (yes the one and only) where she uses peaches, it was simply the arduous task of halving them!!

When the beets are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool. Once cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and dice them. Put all the ingredients in a bowl, add freshly ground pepper, salt, and the extra virgin olive oil. Stir with a fork and throw in a few nasturtium blooms. Nasturtiums are blooming in my garden now which is why I use them whenever/wherever I can.  After all they are seasonal too!

                                                **************************************

Here's hoping that you enjoyed going through my post today. Thank you so much for stopping by.




Post a Comment