Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lunch-time Menu


The combination of pulao and a meat-based curry has always been much-loved in our house. It actually takes care of the need of other accompaniments, read more effort and time. When it comes to a dinner party,  it's a different matter but just these two dishes work for a laid-back Sunday lunch.


Since I still had some of the black rice I'd bought earlier, I thought of making pulao. For this dish I used one and a half cups of white long grain Ijong and   half a cup of black rice. This particular variety of rice, Ijong, is not fragrant but the addition of the black rice took care of that. So I went easy on the spices. When the oil heated up I threw in a few crushed cardamoms, two sticks of cinnamon, about five cloves, a few peppercorns and tejpatta/Indian bay leaf. The black rice was soaked for thirty minutes before it was added to the pan. The colour turned burgundy. A change from the usual white or pale yellow pulao. The garnish was done with fried onions, fried till crisp and brown.




As for the lamb, the spices that went into the oil are: plenty of chopped onions, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, twelve cloves of garlic (crushed), a half teaspoon paste of ginger, and a teaspoon of freshly made garam masala. I used slivers of ginger for the garnish. The taste? Hmm...I was pretty happy!:)
Post a Comment