|Egg and potato curry|
|Eggs and potatoes ready for the hot pan|
|Other accompaniments were: Arhar dal and fried okra with grated carrots|
It's a joy to walk around the market in the locality and get the freshest stuff, usually after breakfast. Carts of snake gourds, cucumbers and different kinds of melons are the first sights that greet me as I make my way through more members of the gourd family.... The recipe for the egg and potato curry is given below.
4 medium potatoes
2 onions, grated
Half a teaspoon of ginger and garlic paste, I used fresh paste
A pinch of turmeric+ extra for rubbing on the boiled eggs
A quarter teaspoon of chilli powder
One level teaspoon of cumin powder
One level teaspoon of coriander powder
2 blanched, peeled, and chopped tomatoes
Half a teaspoon of garam masala
Salt to taste
About three tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 or 3 Indian bay leaves/tejpatta
Chopped coriander for the garnish
2 cups of hot water
- Boil the eggs and the potatoes till done. The potatoes must not be mushy and the eggs must be hard boiled.
- Let them cool, then peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Shell the eggs, make light slashes on them with a knife. I made vertical slashes before rubbing them with salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat the oil in a pan. As soon as it becomes hot, add the eggs. Turn them as you fry so that they turn golden brown on all sides. Remove.
- In the same oil add the bay leaves and the grated onion. Cook till the onion changes colour.
- Then add the spice pastes, the powdered spices, and the salt.
- Then add the potatoes. Keep cooking till the potatoes start to "look good".:) The tomatoes can go in now.
- Add the hot water. When it comes to the boil add the fried eggs. Cook for a few more minutes and add the garam masala before removing it from the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.