Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Orange Cake and Minced Meat

Orange cake on my new cake stand from Zansaar

Recently I ordered a cake stand from Zansaar . Seeing it while surfing the site, I fell in love with it and Had to have it! Here it is now proudly standing on my table! The first cake I made was a moist orange cake and since the bottom looked better than the top, I turned it upside down. No embellishments on this one as I made it specially for my first born who came home yesterday and will be here for nearly a month. He likes plain unadorned cakes with citrusy flavours. It turned good...it was moist and the smell of the orange was refreshing! Here's the recipe.

One and a half cups of flour, sieved with the baking powder
One cup of butter, softened+ extra for greasing the tin
3 eggs at room temperature
I tbsp vanilla essence
1 heaped tsp baking powder
A handful of raisins, washed and coarsely chopped
The rind of one orange
The juice of two medium-sized oranges
1/2 cup sour cream (I used the one from Flanders Dairy)
1 cup of caster sugar

Cream butter and sugar and add the sour cream. Break the eggs one by one and gradually mix in. Add the vanilla essence as well as the rind and the juice of the oranges. Fold in the flour till the mixture comes together. Then add the chopped raisins into the mixture. Pour into a greased tin (I used one with a floral pattern), give it a few taps on the kitchen work top to remove air bubbles and bake in a preheated 180 degrees oven for thirty to thirty five minutes. Check with a skewer  and remove if the skewer comes out clean. Let it cool, preferably on a wire rack.

Minced meat: a wonderful accompaniment with rice or roti
Another of my son's favourite is minced meat which I made for dinner. Along with other goodies, minced meat is what I cook on his first day home (after a gap of many moons). It's lamb mince and cooked with plenty of onions, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, chilli, and turmeric powder. It's garnished with finely chopped serrated coriander. 

For months at a stretch our house is an empty nest. I look forward to the day when my sons come home. Even if it is for a short while, our house comes alive....As for the activity in my kitchen, my posts will tell you.:-)))
Post a Comment