Friday, August 16, 2013

Pineapple Murabba

Pineapple murabba
With pineapples in season, cooking with these sweet juicy fruits seems to be the most natural thing to do. I made murabba today. Murabba is an Arabian word that refers to sweet or savoury jam in parts of India, Pakistan, and Iran. It is traditionally sweet prepared with mangoes, plums, apricots, Indian gooseberry (amla) and resembles a fruit preserve. Other fruits and vegetables like carrots, tomatoes, ash gourd, apples, wood apples, and the spice, ginger, are all used to make this preserve.
Getting cooked with the sugar, the cardamom seeds, and a stick of cinnamon
I cut up a medium-sized pineapple, removed the 'eyes' as well as the hard inner core. Then I chopped the fruit into tiny pieces. In they went to a pan where they simmered away on a medium flame. For 500 grams of pineapple, I added nearly 300 grams of sugar. It certainly wasn't the sweetest pineapple of the season. or else 250 grams of sugar would have been enough. Then I added a dash of ground cardamom seeds and a stick of cinnamon. It took about 45 minutes for the mixture to look translucent. I kept stirring every now and then. 
The finished product
Just before it was done, I added the juice of half a lemon into the mixture. This was cooled, transferred to a glass jar and kept in the fridge. From tomorrow (but not on a regular basis because it's sweet) it's going to accompany our parathas and toasts.

Blending Flavours is on Facebook. Hope you visit and Like my page! Thank you for stopping by today!

Post a Comment