Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Starfruit Chutney

Starfruit chutney
The apple chutney that I made a week ago was such a hit that it has motivated me to try making chutney with other fruits that I haven't tried with before. With my potted starfruit plant bearing some sweet fruits I decided to have a go at making these into chutney. Most of the starfruits available in our markets are acidic and best suited for making sweet and sour pickles. I was lucky to get the sweet variety when I picked up my plant from a local nursery a few years ago. Since then the plant has not disappointed me. With two people in the house, well, most of the time, one potted (starfruit) plant is enough!

I didn't cut them up into stars like the one shown in the picture above. That's from the cut fruit drying in the sun to be pickled.
With some of the mature fruits on my plant, there are many blooms and several tiny fruits as well. The recipe for the chutney is given below.


  • 10 starfruits
  • 1 onion
  • 1" grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely grated chilli powder
  • A quarter teaspoon of salt
  • About 100 grams of sugar
  • 3 tablespoons vinegar
  • Water
Wash and wipe the fruits dry. Remove the hard ridge on the fruit and cut into long or star-shaped pieces. Remove the seeds. Put them in a pan along with some water, chopped onions,sugar, and salt. Let it cook for twenty minutes or so. Then add the grated ginger and the chilli powder. When the chutney looks nearly done, add the vinegar. The entire process will last about 40-45 minutes. Cool and store in a glass jar. 
The measurements, particularly of sugar, can be adjusted according to the taste of the fruit. 

This chutney is a wonderful accompaniment to Indian flat breads and also goes well with aloo tikkis.
Post a Comment