Saturday, December 14, 2013

Ah, Delhi!


Pretty blooms sold on the roadside

Now that my sons are (studying)  in Delhi, my trips and stay there is helping me familiarise with certain parts of  this city. Ber Sarai in south Delhi where my address is when I'm there, is centrally located and it's pretty much easy to access areas that matter to me. Well food and ingredients for my recipes are on the top of my list so my usual haunts are the stores at Basant Lok and INA market. The carts in "our" area are laden with the freshest of produce. If I didn't have a food blog, I don't think I'd have ventured too far sourcing/scouring for precious ingredients. The narrow lanes have cycle carts selling fruits and nuts of the season. The sights and sounds of another city is so different from the one that I live in!
A fruit-seller arranges his wares at Ber Sarai


The nankhatai(Indian cookies) seller appears every winter
& the vegetable vendor does brisk business


From the top of the building where my sons live, the Qutub Minar is a towering structure through the winter haze. I spent an afternoon there recently clicking pictures of this beautiful structure and the other monuments within the complex. This is the tallest minar in India (73 mtrs) and is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Qutub Minar & the other monuments in the complex



Chaos thrives on the roads of Chawri Bazar. In the midst the orange vendor was merrily peeling the fruit!!
Street food at Mina Bazar was delicious!


India's largest mosque, the Jama Masjid
Other food highlights were dropping in at the Gourmet Jar and at Diva Kitsch. The latter happens to be Chef Ritu Dalmia's newest restaurant.
Diva Kitsch

Food on our table...photographed @ Diva Kitsch
The restaurant serves European food with an Asian twist. Interesting flavours, particularly the desserts. We had the basil panna cotta with passion fruit coulis and jaggery creme brulee.
I came back with several ingredients, cake and tart tins, and of course the jam bottles. These will keep me going (with my baking mostly) till it's time to head up north again!

Thank you for stopping by today. Would love it if you visit, check out and Like my Facebook page!
Post a Comment