Saturday, December 28, 2013

Dundee Cake

Dundee cake with mustard blooms in the background
 Winter is usually the time when I tend to meet more people than the rest of the year. Our getting-together dinners and lunches have started which is why I haven't had a new post for the last so many days! The other day I baked a Dundee cake. My sisters and I had planned a trip to a village not very far from where we live and I'm glad I got the opportunity to take these pictures with the mustard fields in full bloom. A heavy lunch followed soon after this walkabout in the fields of not only mustard but peas, cabbages, cauliflowers, chillis, tomatoes, and eggplants.

My sisters and nieces. My nephew was busy running around the wide open spaces!


As for the recipe, it's Jiggs Kalra's again. I have always made it this way. The only thing I left out were the molasses as I didn't have any. It's added after the beaten eggs go into the bowl. I only cut down the amount of raisins and added some dried currants.

Ingredients:
175 grams all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
125 grams castor sugar
3 eggs
100 grams almonds
125 grams butter+ extra for greasing the cake tin

275 grams raisins
60 grams lemon peel
A handful of almonds
About 6 tbsps rum

For the fruit and nut mixture first wash the raisins and pat dry. Cut the lemon peel into small pieces. Chop the almonds and put all the ingredients in a bowl. Cover with cellophane and reserve for at least two hours. or overnight.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
Break and beat the eggs in a bowl.
Cream the butter and the castor sugar with a wooden spoon. Then fold in the beaten eggs. Add the flour, and fruit and nut mixtures, fold gently with a wooden spoon to ensure that the fruit and nut mixture does not settle at the bottom of the bowl.
Blanch the almonds in boiling water for five minutes, and then drain. Cool in cold water, drain, spread in a cloth napkin, fold, rub vigorously to peel.
Preheat the oven to 175 C.
Grease a 9" cake tin with butter, line with butter paper, and transfer the cake mixture to the tin, spread with a spatula, and gently thump the tin on the work surface to remove any air pockets. Then cover the top with the blanched almonds.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until the almonds turn golden.

Thank you  for stopping by today. Hope you check out my Facebook page and like it as well!:)

Post a Comment