Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hung Curd Tart

 


And the sun finally made an appearance today after what seemed like February going backwards. To celebrate the occasion I made a hung curd tart. The weather was such that moving about from point A to B wasn’t a punishment to self from the elements.;) Coming back to my dish, this was inspired by reading some wonderful blogs and also watching the episode on Polish cuisine on Food Safari. That show also included sernik, a cheesecake enclosed in pastry with a latticed top. Although I omitted out the last bit as I used left-over pastry after making pumpkin pie, this experience will surely find me baking one with a lattice top soon. I love using nasturtiums in my pictures as they brighten things up and they last only a season. I might soon be looking for the last bloom and finding one withered and shrivelled I might not be able to use it in my photos. Before that possibility looms large I’m bringing it on.:)

 But the rain was good for my plants particularly this potted strawberry. I have two of them but the other one hasn't flowered as yet. I hope I'll be able to use some of the fruit in my recipes.

 
The curd was hung for 24 hours till none of the whey dripped any more. As the day was cold I left it outside (not in the fridge).
2 cups of hung curd
2 eggs+ 1 yolk
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1tsp grated orange rind
2 tbsp cornflour
15-20 raisins
Icing sugar to dust the tart

~Roll the pastry and place it on a greased loose-bottomed tart tin. Butter a round piece of silver foil a little bigger than the rolled-out pastry. Place it on the pastry dough with the buttered side downwards. Place the baking beans and bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and the beans and bake for another ten minutes or till the pastry is golden brown. Remove and cool.
~To prepare the filling transfer the hung curd to a large bowl and whisk till the consistency is smooth. Beat in the eggs and the yolk. Add the sugar, the vanilla extract, the grated lemon and orange rind. Fold in the cornflour and lastly add the raisins.
~Pour the filling into the cooled tart shell and bake at 170 C for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
~Remove from the oven, cool and dust with icing sugar before cutting into wedges.
Thank you for stopping by today. I'm happy with the new visitors here and also the new likes on my Facebook page.
Post a Comment