Sunday, February 9, 2014

Indian Jujube & Prune Tart

 The much-loved fruit, Indian jujube, is widely available during this time of the year. Whereas the ones in my home state are acidic, the ones that come from the states of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh are sweeter. Our ones are best suited for pickles and sweet and sour chutneys. The taste of this fruit reminded me of the kairi tarts I had made last summer and I decided to make one today. The flesh is crisp and not at all acidic and the smell is fragrant. The fruit comes in various shapes. Some are small and round, some are oblong but the ones I used looked more like small apples.

I used a small tart tin so a handful of prunes and four of the Indian jujube were enough for a small tart. The picture below is of an apple tarte tatin that I made the other day. The pastry dough that remained from this tart was used for today's tart.

For the pastry:
200 grams all-purpose flour, sieved
100 grams chilled butter
A tablespoon of iced water

Transfer the flour to a large bowl and grate the chilled butter on to the flour. (The butter that remains on the grater can be used to grease your tart tin later). Rub the butter into the flour using your finger tips till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. At this point sprinkle the iced water and bring the dough together. As soon as that is done, divide the dough into two parts, form into balls and flatten. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least thirty minutes. Although sweet tart recipes generally call for the addition of sugar to be mixed into the dough, I usually omit this step. The sweetness from the tart is enough.

Take the dough out of the fridge and roll on a floured surface. The size should be a little bigger than the tin. Now roll the dough on the rolling pin and gently unfold/unfurl on to the tin. 
Press into the corners and if the dough has been rolled wide enough the edges can be tucked back inside the tin so there's a double layer of the edging. 
Chill the rolled out pastry for twenty minutes then bake blind (with baking beans for 15 minutes). Remove the beans and bake for another ten minutes till the pastry is a golden brown.

The filling:
I took a handful of prunes, tore them and scattered the pieces on the bottom of the pastry. Then I mixed two eggs and one yolk with 150 ml cream and whisked the two together with 5 tbsp of sugar. Four of the jujubes were grated and added to the egg/cream mixture. About ten almonds were sliced and scattered on the top of the tart before it went into a preheated 180C oven where it baked for thirty minutes. The power went off twice during the baking period or else my tart should have ended up looking better than this.

However I was happy with the taste. I love baking with fruit and using Indian jujube is a first for me. Certainly this isn't going to be my last! It was on a spur of the moment thing. I had gone with my husband to the local fruit market (Sunday happens to be the only day when he's free) and the sight of the fruit made me think of tarts, and more tarts!
I hope you enjoyed going through the recipe. Thank you for stopping by today. Hope you connect with me on Facebook and *Like* my page as well!:)
Post a Comment