Sunday, February 2, 2014

Savoury Cake With Prunes, Pistachios & Cheese


Savoury Cake
I have made savoury muffins before but seeing Rachel Khoo bake a savoury cake on her show My Little Paris Kitchen got me hooked to such cakes! And why not? I'm cutting down on sugar and it helps that not-sweet-cakes are more interesting as more ingredients go into them. The range can be an endless variety! Although this particular recipe called for goat's cheese, I went ahead with what I had in my fridge, the regular Amul cheese cubes. Unfortunately we don't have access to variety when it comes to cheeses in our region. So substitute, substitute...


This is Rachel Khoo's recipe.
250 grams plain flour
150 grams soft goat's cheese cut into small pieces
100 grams prunes, roughly chopped
80 grams pistachios, roughly chopped
1 tsp baking powder
4 free-range eggs
150 ml olive oil
100 ml milk
50 grams plain yoghurt
1 tsp salt
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 500 gram loaf tin with baking paper.
In a bowl mix together the flour, goat's cheese, prunes, pistachios, and baking powder.
In a separate bowl whisk the eggs until pale and fluffy in colour.
Then gradually use the oil, milk, and yoghurt. Add the salt and black pepper.
Fold the flour mixture into the whisked eggs.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
Bake until a metal skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. This may take about 30-40 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin.
I couldn't photograph the whole cake as more than half of it was gone before I got a chance to take a picture!!

Thank you for stopping by today. Hope you check out my Facebook page and *Like* it as well.:)
 

Post a Comment