|Khari with smoked meat, hyacinth beans & brinjal|
|A much-loved combo for khari|
|Ash gourd & pumpkin (left) & smoked pork|
|Khari with black lentils and smoked pork|
|Khari with smoked pork, ash gourd, pumpkin, leafy greens & hyacinth beans|
Smoked pork cut into bite-size pieces
Unripe pumpkin cut into 1" pieces (leave the skin on)
Ash gourd, peel and cut like pumpkin
8-10 chillies scored lengthwise, seeds left intact
A bunch of leafy greens (amaranth, lai or the tender leaves of pumpkin and bottle gourd)
A handful of hyacinth beans (string and cut/tear off into pieces not much bigger than the size of the meat)
Alkali, according to the quantity of the khari (1 tbsp is enough if you are cooking for 4-5 people)
3-4 green tomatoes (red tomatoes can also be used)
2-3 fermented fish
Salt to taste
Crushed garlic or herbs like bahanda/bakhor for the garnish
- Heat some water in a pan and add the meat pieces.
- Let it come to the boil before adding the chillies.
- After ten minutes or so add the ash gourd as it takes the longest to cook compared to the other vegetables named in the ingredients.
- When the ash gourd is nearly done, add the rest of the vegetables. The leaves can be added a little later.
- Add the alkali and cook till the khari looks almost done.
- The fermented fish can go in now. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the flame and garnish with the herbs of your choice or with crushed garlic.
Thank you for stopping by today. Hope you check out my Facebook page too!