Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mini Plum Cakes


With Kashmir so much on my mind I'll soon be posting more about some of the goodies I got from there. Back in Delhi my favourite haunts are the shops that deal in more kitchen ingredients. I got some delicious plums from the INA market and these went into the mini cakes I made today. Back home our plums are sweet when ripe but they are certainly not good for baking. I also picked up some figs and teamed them up with ricotta and honey to make tarts.

A sprinkle of sugar before hitting the oven


Although I had kept the plum halves right in the middle, they somehow managed to shift a wee bit.:) These must be the simplest cakes to make but the taste of the plums with their natural sweetness took the cakes to another level. There were no extra trimmings to go with them. They were good on their own.

Ingredients:
200 grams flour
90 grams fine sugar
100 grams softened butter+ extra for greasing the tins
2 eggs
Milk (used only to make the batter a little thinner)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
2 plums, halved and seed removed
1 tsp of brown sugar to be sprinkled on the plums

Grease the cake tins (I used 5 small ramekins) and preheat the oven to 180 C.
Sieve the flour and the baking powder.
Cream the butter and the sugar in a bowl with a whisk.
Beat in the eggs one by one till fully incorporated.
Add the vanilla extract and the milk. The quantity of the latter will depend on how you usually like your batter.
With the help of a spoon, transfer the batter to the ramekins leaving some space for the cake to rise.
Gently push the plum halves (cut side up) in the middle of the batter. Give a little tap and bake the cakes for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges turn a golden brown.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Thanks for stopping by today. Hope you check out my Facebook page as well.:)
Post a Comment