Thursday, March 6, 2014

Polenta Quiche

Polenta quiche & a green salad
Although I have used polenta in a few forms the idea of a quiche came from a blog post that I saw at The Daring Gourmet. I loved the idea as it saved me the time to make and chill the pastry dough. And what better than using left-overs that you have in the fridge. In this case I had two roasted tomatoes and some fried chicken. As for the polenta I cooked it with chicken stock stirring all the time so that there were no lumps. As soon as the mixture cooled down I placed it on the buttered pie dish and pressed it on all sides. It did end up looking like a rough-in-texture, egg-yolky yellow pastry dough. Then I baked it for about 20 minutes at 170C.

I love using all the greens that I have in my garden. Walking around with my blue colander I picked some tender spinach, a few leaves of a variety of brassica, rocket leaves, and amaranth. All of these were washed and cooked in very little water. Later the greens were chopped to bits.

I didn't measure the other ingredients either as it was a bit of this and a bit of that. Just the way home cooking is all about.:) The two roasted tomatoes were skinned and roughly chopped, a bit of cheese was grated, and two eggs were beaten with some milk. A touch of salt and some grated pepper went in as well. I was careful with the liquid ingredients as the tin I was using was small. A regular quiche would hold a little more milk or cream. After the baked polenta shell cooled down, I scattered the chicken pieces (after removing the bones) on it. Then the cheese and the chopped greens went in. Finally the seasoned wet ingredients went in. The quiche baked at 180C for 30 minutes.

More greens went into the salad that I teamed up for the quiche. Rocket, mint, baby spinach, chives, and pea shoots with blooms were added to this salad. The dressing was of grated pepper, sugar, salt, white wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Nasturtiums, brassica blooms and oxalis flowers were scattered on this green salad.
Thank you for stopping by today. Hope you check out my Facebook page and like it as well!!
Post a Comment