Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Galettes

Peach galette
With leftover pastry dough that remained in the fridge I used them up (on different days) to make these galettes. There was something so comforting about creating these rustic pies that it left me wondering why I was not baking them more often.
There are hardly any additions as such, apart from the sugar and the starch that holds the juices. A bit of grated lemon rind, some lemon juice, a dash of cinnamon and sugar. That's all we need for the simplest of 'em all.
Cherry galette

For the peach galette:
Stone the fruits and slice them thin and even. Mix with sugar, a dash of cinnamon, grated lemon rind and a bit of lemon juice. Mix gently and add about a tablespoon of sieved flour.This will help it from being soggy and it'll also be easy to cut the tart later. Layer the baking tray with greaseproof paper. Roll the pastry dough into a circle and transfer it to the tray. If the edges are not fine you needn't bother. Gives a more rustic look to the tart. Fill the centre with the prepared fruit. Fold the edges inwards. Brush with beaten egg and bake in a moderate oven till evenly golden in colour. Remove, cool, dust with icing sugar (optional) and slice.
 With the peaches, I only removed the stones and the skin was left intact. The tart was 7" in diameter and I used two peaches.

The cherries:
With the cherries, after removing the pits, I cooked them till they were a little softer and took out some of the juice before I added the sugar and starch. I also added a bit of grated ginger. The galette was baked till the fruit bubbled and frothed and the edges were uniformly brown.

Thank you for stopping by. Do check out my Facebook page too!
Post a Comment