Thursday, June 5, 2014

A Dish Of Cluster Beans/Guar Ki Sabzi

Guar ki sabzi
It's the season of cluster beans or guar/gawar as they are known in Hindi. Although I have seen them before I have never cooked them. So today this is what I made as an accompaniment to the other dishes that we had for lunch. I did look up some sites but decided to cook it the way I usually cook my vegetables. The addition of amchur/dried mango powder or tamarind pulp for that little bit of tang was in most of the recipes. I decided to go for the latter as I had a packet of tamarind in stock.


Cluster beans grow well in the northern parts of our country as well as in the western states of  Gujarat and Maharashtra. It does well in arid areas, is drought-tolerant and sun-loving. It is an annual legume and the source of guar gum. According to Wiki, in several kinds of food and beverages, guar gum is used as an additive in order to change its viscosity or as fiber source.

Ingredients:
250 grams cluster beans,  stringed and cut into similar lengths
2 onions grated
A quarter tsp of grated ginger
A quarter tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Half a tsp cumin powder
A quarter tsp of coarsely grated pepper
A few green chillies scored lengthwise (optional) 
Salt to taste
2 tomatoes finely chopped
Turmeric powder, as per your preference
A teaspoon of tamarind pulp
2 tbs oil

Since the beans looked tough I blanched them in boiling water first. Then I drained them and kept the aside.

  • Heat the oil in a pan. As soon as it comes to smoking point, add the onions.
  • Cook till the onions change colour then add the rest of the spices.
  • Add the drained beans. Stir well and continue to cook till the oil separates.
  • Season with salt, then add the tomatoes.
  • Add half a cup of water to make the beans more tender.
  • Cook till done. Add the tamarind pulp, stir and remove from the flame.
  • Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
Thank you for stopping by today. Do check out my Facebook page as well.:)


 






Post a Comment