Saturday, June 28, 2014

Dried Fig Cake

Dried fig cake
When it comes to food there are images that remain etched in your mind. I had some dried figs and was wondering how to use them in a baked recipe when I came across the recipe and the images here. Needless to say that the recipe and the images occupied every crevice of my mind! But the flash floods that inundated our city a day ago brought such misery. Our ground floor was not spared and the day after went in a major cleaning operation. With most of the sorting and scrubbing done, I baked this cake today. It was such a good feeling. It felt as if I exorcised the invasion of dirt and filled the house with the most delightful heavenly smells...

My bunch of blooms in the pictures are teeny-weeny zinnias and self seeding Porter's weed blooms. Both attract a good number of butterflies.

Ingredients:
70 grams plain flour
70 grams almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
110 grams butter, at room temperature
100 grams brown sugar
1 tbs muscat
2 eggs
8 dried figs cut into strips

Preheat the oven to 180C.
Grease a 9" cake tin and line it with baking paper.
Combine the flour, almond meal and baking powder and keep aside.
Cream the butter and the sugar.
Add the eggs one by one and whisk till fully incorporated.
Fold in the flour mix and transfer the batter to the baking tin.
With the help of a knife or spatula even out the batter.
Arrange the fig strips on the top of the cake.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the cake is golden brown. Test with a skewer.

This is indeed a lovely cake more in taste than in appearance.:) I made slight adaptations. The recipe also called for salt but I had to omit that out since I used salted Amul butter. Unsalted butter is not readily available in our area. I didn't have muscat so I used a teaspoon of vanilla extract. I thought the figs would sink a little into the batter but they didn't want to budge!! But otherwise no complaints. This is one cake I'll be baking again.
Thank you for stopping by today!

Post a Comment