Thursday, June 26, 2014

Jamun Kulfi

Jamun kulfi
I made the simplest of kulfis yesterday. Since I was wondering what else to do with the fruit, my friend Smita had suggested kulfi. As it is I wanted to incorporate the jam that I had made recently into another recipe so kulfi it was! First I had to look for the moulds and finally found  four in a cupboard where I store most of my baking stuff. These Tupperware moulds have been around for years and when my boys were younger they would freeze their own concoctions. They were mostly made from soft drinks and fruit juice but kulfi as such was never made in these moulds. The reason being that both are not fond of milk-based sweets. The rest of the dessert was frozen in four muffin moulds.
Jamun kulfi made in a muffin mould
The ingredients:
About 500 ml milk
2 heaped tablespoons milk powder
200 ml sweetened condensed milk
3 tbs sugar
1 cup of jamun jam

Pour the milk into a pan and heat it. Add the next three ingredients, keep stirring at intervals till the mixture is somewhat reduced.
Let the mixture cool down completely.
Then add the jam and stir well.
Pour the mixture into the moulds and freeze.
Halfway during the freezing process, you can insert an ice cream stick in the kulfi. The sweet has to set a bit before the stick stays in place. 
After the kulfi is completely frozen, remove from the freezer. To remove from the mould, simply place the mould in a bowl of water. Gently tug the stick and it'll come out. Enjoy!

You might have noticed that I didn't use much sugar. That's because the jam had plenty of it. One regret was that I hadn't removed the skin of the berries although the recipe had stated so. Now I know better. Most kulfis are generally made creamier than mine. But for me it was actually about trying out something new from my garden faithful. Maybe next time!
Thank you for stopping by today.
 

Post a Comment