Friday, October 17, 2014

Starfruit Saffron Upside-down Cake


With another harvest from my starfruit plant, I was wondering about how to use them in my recipes. Cake was certainly not on my mind but after watching Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries, I was inspired to bake this cake. Rachel made one with peaches and saffron and the idea of incorporating saffron in my cake was interesting. The cake on the show used peaches and since these starfruits are the sweetest ones, more like apples, baking with them is a good option. And I was happy that I tried it out because the flavours work wonderfully well together. I won't be surprised if I find myself baking this cake again...
My plant doesn't seem to be doing well at the moment and the size of the fruits have grown smaller. I used five of them for this cake. The hard ridge was removed and the fruits were sliced into even sizes. Some of the seeds remained, I didn't discard all of them.
For the topping:
Heat about 3 tbs butter in a pan. When it melts add about 5 tbs brown sugar.
Let it simmer on a low flame till all the sugar melts.
Pour this into the cake tin.
Add the prepared fruit pieces in a circle making sure that all the spaces are filled up.
For the cake:
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
3 eggs
1& half cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
A big pinch of saffron
A little milk depending on the consistency of the batter
(I used a 9" tin)

Sieve the flour with the baking powder.
Cream the butter and the sugar using a whisk.
Add the eggs one by one beating them well into the mixture.
Add the vanilla extract and the saffron.
Fold in the flour and transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin.
Give a little tap to remove air bubbles and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or so till a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let the cake cool down a bit before you turn it upside down on to a serving dish or plate.
Cut into wedges. Enjoy!

Other starfruit recipes you might like to read:
1.Starfruit Chutney
2.Starfruit Pie
Post a Comment