Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Hummus

hummus

Although chickpea dishes are a regular feature in my kitchen, having the same in the form of hummus happened only a few years ago. And every time I have it I wonder at how a few basic ingredients can make this Middle-Eastern dip taste so good! This was what I made the other day (again!) as a dip for fried stuff and for potato chips. I only used the basics and no extra spices. Whenever I soak chickpeas (usually for curry) I keep some aside and that comes in handy for making hummus in a jiffy. There were no cake-like measurements taken for this recipe. It was all "andaz" as we say in India.:)

Ingredients:
Chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained (reserve the water and a few whole chickpeas for decoration)
White sesame seeds, toasted and ground
Salt to taste
Pepper powder
Extra virgin olive oil
A few cloves of garlic, chopped fine
A bunch of chopped coriander for the garnish
Instead of using store-bought tahini, I use freshly toasted white sesame seeds.

Grind the chickpeas in the food processor adding a bit of the reserved water.
Add the lemon juice, tahini, salt, garlic and pepper. Check and see if adjustments need to be made. If it is too thick, add more of the reserved chickpea water. Add the olive oil and whiz again.
Transfer to a serving dish. Make a well in the centre and pour some more olive oil.  Add some of the whole chickpeas that had been set aside earlier.
Decorate the sides of the dish with chopped coriander. Add a few coriander leaves in the centre if you like.


Post a Comment