Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Corn cakes With Cheese


Despite seeing the recipe and pictures, cornbread is something I hadn't made earlier. But with the packet of polenta left in stock it was high time I used it before its shelf life was over. Help came when I read Mark's post on cornbread and corn cakes. I mixed up some of the ingredients from the two recipes and made these cakes.
The cheese I used wasn't anything fancy. I usually have either Amul or Brittania and the latter was what I used. But it did turn out well so I wasn't disappointed.

The measurements and the recipe is adapted from here.
200 grams polenta
50 grams plain flour
200 ml milk
2 eggs
3 level tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp dried dried mint
1 medium red chilli, seeds discarded
4 cheese cubes, halved
Butter for greasing the ramekins

Grease the ramekins well with butter.
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients except the cheese. In another bowl mix the wet ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix well.
With a spoon, transfer the batter to the greased ramekins. I used 8.
Halve a cheese cube and put in the middle of the ramekin. Repeat with the rest.
Bake in a preheated 200C oven for about 20 minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean. The cheese will stick but you can tell when it's done.

This is a recipe that has made me realize that polenta should always be a part of my shopping list!! Although I have used it for tarts and muffins, this is indeed the best polenta recipe I have made. When I make this again the whole cube of cheese will go in. A little bite from the chilli and the faint minty smell was a heady combination!
Post a Comment