Sunday, January 18, 2015

White Chocolate & Cardamom Tart

White Chocolate & Cardamom Tart

Don't I love my tart-filled days...? The most recent one I tried was this white chocolate tart with a subtle hint of cardamom. I had come across the recipe in a tiny book about chocolates and this recipe was at the back of my mind for a while. I finally made it yesterday.
My hands have been full. Mika, our new pet, is in his most playful mood particularly when I need to get on with my chores. And he's at his active best when I am watering my plants.  The picture below shows him checking out my snapdragons.:)

I usually have pastry dough at the ready. A quick quiche or a tart-let and I don't have to start from scratch! So I took out the dough and got on with the rest of the recipe.
The pastry should be enough for a 9" loose-bottomed tart tin.
 The filling:
Seeds of two cardamoms
350 gram white chocolate chopped into pieces
6 gram fine gelatine
Cold water
425 ml whipping cream
Shavings of white chocolate to decorate

Roll out the pastry dough and line the tin that has been lightly greased.
Chill it for at least thirty minutes.
Remove from the fridge, and bake blind for 12-15 minutes in a preheated 180C oven.
Remove the  paper and the beans and bake for ten more minutes.
Set aside to cool completely.

White Chocolate & Cardamom Tart

Crush the cardamom seeds until powdery and put in a large bowl with the chocolate.
Soak the gelatine in a little cold water in a heatproof bowl for 5 minutes, the stir over a saucepan of simmering water until dissolved.
In a separate pan heat the cream until boiling, then pour over the chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate has melted. 
Add the gelatine and stir the mixture until smooth. Let it cool and then pour it in the tart shell and chill for at least three hours.
Before serving you can dust the tart with cocoa powder. Then decorate the border with the chocolate shavings. 
The recipe actually says 8 cardamoms. But that would have been too much for me. Two was just right for this tart. And with the peel I usually put them in my jar of tea leaves. That faint smell is good enough!!
Post a Comment