Monday, February 23, 2015

Broccoli & Chicken Quiche

Broccoli & chicken quiche
Broccoli & chicken quiche
My mini baking moulds are best suited for single servings and when I am alone in the house, a one-pot or one-dish meal is usually what I make. The boys aren't home and of late, my husband has been travelling with his band to perform within and outside the state. He isn't a full-time musician but at certain times of the year it feels like he is one.:)
Quiche can be very filling and fulfilling! The meat and the vegetables coupled with the cheese makes a delicious combination. And I teamed it up with a simple salad of lettuce that I had bought at the recent horticultural show. The lettuce plants are doing well in their respective containers now.
Broccoli & chicken quiche
The different stages...
I didn't make the pastry from scratch this time. There was some left over from a previous pie-baking day and in order to finish off the dough, I tucked in the overhanging pieces and made a double edged border on one of these two. Then I rested them in the fridge and baked them blind. As I waited for them to cool down, I prepared the filling.
The filling:
1/2 of a small broccoli head
1 cup boiled chicken pieces, no bones
1 onion, finely chopped
100 ml cream
3 small eggs
2 cubes of Amul cheese
1 tsp grated pepper
A dash of salt
2 tbs oil
Cut the broccoli into florets and plunge them into boiling water for a couple of minutes.
Drain and plunge into iced water. Drain again and set aside in a colander.
Heat the oil in a pan. Fry the onions till translucent.
Add the chicken pieces and the drained broccoli florets. Fry for a couple of minutes. 
Season with a dash of salt and grated pepper.
Remove and let it cool as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Grate the cheese and keep aside.
In a bowl, break the eggs and whisk along with the cream. Add the cheese and give it a good mix.
Divide the chicken/broccoli mix between the two shells.
Pour the egg/cream/cheese mix and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 20-25 minutes or till it turns a golden brown.
Remove, cool, and have it at room temperature with a green salad.
Broccoli & chicken quiche
Broccoli & chicken quiche with salad
The chicken was boiled with ginger, garlic, pepper and a touch of salt, so despite just a little bit of frying, it was good! The salad I made had lettuce and a few leaves/blooms of nasturtium. Nasturtium season doesn't last long and I make it a point to use them in my salads. The dressing had honey, grated pepper, salt, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil.
Post a Comment