Friday, March 27, 2015

Fried Green Tomatoes

Fried green tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes
Woke up to the sweetest music this morning, the sound of rain. It wasn't enough for everything to be drenched but the dust has settled down a bit. Too much rain is another story but the season's first shower is always welcome. With the temperature a little bit kinder today than most days, I longed for something crisp and fried and what could be better than fried green tomatoes?

Although tomatoes are a fixture in most of our dishes, the fried form isn't common. When I started blogging about six years ago, I saw plenty of posts on the same. Popular in the American South, I tried it a few years ago and absolutely loved it! And I have always made this with home-grown tomatoes. Green tomatoes do make an appearance in our markets but I think it's a headache to scour the markets looking for the same. Particularly when it's the ripe ones that are easily available. I chose three lovely green ones from my plants. At the rate they are going, they'll best be termed as vines.:) But one had started ripening although it still looked unsuspectingly green outside.
You can see a slight tinge of pink peeking through all that green!
This was made with my own twist added but the first time I tried it was a from Southern recipe.
Ingredients:
3 green tomatoes
1 egg
Salt to taste
A quarter tsp ground pepper
Pinch of cumin powder
Milk for the batter
Some all-purpose flour
About 1 tbs rice flour for extra crispness
Oil to fry
I didn't really measure the ingredients here. It's like making pakodas.

Hull the tomatoes and cut into fairly thick slices.
Sprinkle some salt and set aside as you prepare the egg and the batter.
Heat the oil in a pan.
Break the egg in a bowl and give it a good whisk.
Make a batter with the all-purpose flour and rice flour adding some milk and seasoning.
Dust each tomato slice with flour and dip in the egg.
Then dip it in the batter and fry a few pieces at a time.
Turn over till both sides are golden.
Remove on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Continue with the rest till all the slices are fried.
Scatter some freshly chopped mint over the fried green tomatoes. Best eaten hot!

The cumin powder that I used was from my toast-grind-store container. So the aroma is better than cumin that has not been toasted.
This is a delicious snack even without a sauce of any kind. I haven't really gone into serving ideas with this dish. Happy to have it on its own. Till now.:)

Post a Comment