Monday, May 25, 2015

Guacamole

Guacamole

It's not very often that I buy avocados. First of all they are not available in the markets that are closer to our house. And I never go too far for my usual kitchen ingredients. But when I am in Delhi (like now) it's so much easier to get the foods of the world even without venturing out too far. Avocados are grown in some pockets in India but I think it will be a while before we see them in our markets the way we see  mangoes, oranges, or apples.

Avocados, also known as alligator pears, are said to be one of the healthiest foods in the world as they contain more than 25 essential nutrients. I have tried only a few recipes with the fruit but guacamole is my all-time favourite. We had it with corn chips yesterday.
Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 green chilli, diced with seeds intact
Half of a medium-sized tomato, diced fine
1 small bunch of coriander leaves, finely chopped (leave some aside for the garnish)
Salt to taste
The juice of 1 lemon (I used the small round variety)
Guacamole

Wash the avocado. Cut along the length of the fruit on both sides.
Hold and gently twist so that it comes apart in the middle. Remove the seed.
With a spoon, scoop out the flesh and transfer to a bowl. Don't leave any of the darker green flesh next to the skin as that's where most of the nutrients are.
Mash with a fork, add salt and lemon juice. I used a fork as I didn't want a fine texture in the dip.
Add the other diced ingredients and mix well. I created the patterns on top by running a fork.
Add a few leaves of coriander as a final garnish.
Bring on the chips! Enjoy!

Post a Comment