Saturday, November 28, 2015

Black Rice Loaf Cake

Black rice loaf cake
Black rice. I have always found this rice fascinating and I have posted quite a few times with it as the main ingredient. So recently when I was gifted a kilo of the same by my sister-in-law, I was elated! She had gone on a short trip to the neighbouring state of Manipur, the home of the fabled rice. What was left to be done was to look for inspiration on Google. There were several kinds of breads and salads but a loaf cake that I saw here was enough to send me to the kitchen to start prepping. 
Black rice

The recipe isn't the same as I made several adaptations but that was a very good-looking loaf indeed! I started with the flour by grinding the rice in my mixer-grinder. The recipe had 250 grams of rice flour but I cut it down to 1 cup. Sometimes I like to add a bit of rice flour to my everyday-tea-time-cakes. But using rice flour for the entire cake? I added half a cup of all-purpose flour as well.
Ingredients:
1 cup freshly-ground black rice flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
Vanilla from 1 pod
2/3 cup condensed milk
1 cup softened butter + extra for greasing the tin
1/2 cup banana jam (I used the one I had made from the bananas in my backyard) 
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup roughly chopped shelled pistachios
For the topping: 
1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts
3 tbs honey
3 tbs butter
Black rice loaf cake
Method:
Butter the loaf tin and line it with grease-proof paper.
Combine the rice flour and all-purpose flour with the baking powder and salt in a bowl.
In another bowl, add the butter and the condensed milk. Mix well.
Break one egg and whisk into the mixture till well incorporated. Repeat with the other two eggs.  
Add the vanilla and the jam (if using). Mix. Fold in the dry ingredients and last of all add the pistachios.
Give the tin a good tap on your work-top to remove any air bubbles.
Bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
When the cake is still hot, heat the honey and the butter in a pan. Add the toasted walnuts and pour over the cake.
Black rice loaf cake

I loved the taste of this cake. It felt like one of the sweet rice flour preparations because of the crunch. This is something I'll definitely make again before my bag of rice is over.

Other posts about black rice on my blog:
http://blendingflavours.blogspot.in/2015/06/black-rice-kheer.html
http://blendingflavours.blogspot.in/2014/04/black-rice-wine-savoury-cake.html
http://blendingflavours.blogspot.in/2013/03/black-rice-pudding.html
Post a Comment