Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Stir-fried Smoked Pork

Stir-fried smoked pork with winged beans, spring onions & tomato
During the cooler months of the year I often smoke meat in my backyard. I haven't started yet but it won't be long before the wonderful smell of smoked meat will pervade the air in our vicinity. When I heard from my sister about an outlet that sold really good smoked meat I couldn't wait to try it out. So on our way to a floral exhibition yesterday, we dropped in at POP, initials for Purveyors Of Pork. But it isn't just pork that they sell. There's smoked chicken, sausages as well as fresh meat. And pickles.
And no prizes for guessing what the was included in our lunch menu today.:) I threw in a few other stuff and this dish was done. I also steamed some mustard greens with a tablespoon of bamboo shoot pickle. Preserved bamboo shoots add a unique taste to steamed greens. For some this could well be acquired taste rather than unique.
Stir-fried smoked pork and (right) steamed mustard leaves
Ingredients:
300 grams smoked pork
1 large onion, chopped fine
A small piece of ginger ground to a paste
4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
1 heaped tsp red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tomato, sliced
7-8 tender winged beans
Spring onions, as per choice
Salt to taste
2 tbs oil
What I usually do with smoked meat is cut it into bite-size pieces and soak it for a few minutes in hot water. The meat is drained in a colander as I prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Method: 
Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the onions, ginger and garlic. Fry till the onions are soft.
Add the meat and cook for about five minutes on a high flame.
Add the chilli flakes and season with salt. Add the black pepper.
Break the winged beans into similar sizes. Then add them to the meat.
Turn the flame to medium and add the tomato slices and the chopped spring onions.
As soon as the tomatoes start to wilt, take the pan off the heat.
Transfer the contents to a serving platter.
This goes best with steaming hot rice and some gravy from maybe another dish. 
I was very happy with the meat and it turned out to be delicious indeed!
Post a Comment