Monday, February 29, 2016

A Salad of Beets, Strawberries & Nasturtiums


February came and is almost over. And I have not been regular with my posts. But outside much is happening. The air is filled with the faint aroma of mango blossoms. Looks like this year the harvest will be very good. It's also that time of the year when I get to add these pretty little edible blooms to my salads. How I wish this was possible throughout the year but the blooming season (for nasturtiums) is only during the cooler months and before the heat comes with a fierceness that we tend to forget temporarily as we wrap ourselves in warm clothes, sit by the fire and get mesmerised by dew on leaves and grass...

I grow strawberries in pots and I have enough to add them to salads or decorate my desserts. But not so much that I can make preserves. Maybe such a harvest will happen in future.:) 
Ingredients:
2 beets, roasted in the oven 
A bunch of baby spinach
A few sprigs of mint
3-4 strawberries, hulled, halved and quartered
A handful of nasturtium flowers
A few cherry/globe tomatoes, halved
About a dozen walnuts, toasted
For the dressing: 
1 tsp lemon juice
A quarter tsp freshly ground pepper
Salt to taste
1 tbs wild honey
About 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil

Method:
Peel the beets and cut into even slices.
In a bowl/platter add all the ingredients except the blooms as you don't want to bruise them.
Mix the ingredients of the dressing and drizzle it over the salad.
Give it a gentle toss and garnish with edible flowers.
This serves two. I love to have this as a snack. The taste of roasted beets mixed with the other ingredients is wonderful. The strawberries, nasturtiums, spinach and tomatoes are all home grown. I also added some brassica flowers.
The wild honey I used was bought at our city's horticultural show and was marketed by the Udalguri Farmers' Society.
 
Post a Comment