Friday, March 25, 2016

Green Tomato Sauce

Green tomato sauce
Green tomato sauce
My little gardening space would be incomplete without tomatoes in March. Only a few have started ripening among the plants that I have. Earlier I used to feel bad about plucking green tomatoes but not any more. At least not as much as I used to feel. This morning I plucked about 30 tomatoes. You can see from the picture that the sizes are small. Ever since I read about green tomato sauce on Mark's blog, I knew I had to make it. Green tomatoes are available in the markets in our city's outskirts but the pain of going out to get them is a bit too much. Growing your own is so much better. I did do a bit of URL hopping and came across a recipe that cooks the sauce in the oven. And I went with that.
Ingredients:
Roughly 500 grams tomatoes
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and diced
2 large onions, peeled and chopped fine
1 tsp chilli powder
Chilli flakes
Freshly ground pepper
Salt as per taste
Sugar for the balance
Olive oil
A small bunch of basil  
Method:
*Wash and chop the tomatoes. I didn't remove the skin by blanching them. And I also added a few ripe cherry tomatoes and a couple of the regular ones that were about to ripen. The few reds didn't make much difference to the colour.
*Heat the oil in a pan and add the garlic and onions. Let them sweat for a few minutes before you add the chopped tomatoes.
*Add  the rest of the ingredients except the basil and give it a good stir. Transfer the contents to a baking dish and finish off the cooking in the oven at a low temperature for about 45 minutes. ( If you are using a Dutch oven the entire cooking can be done in one pan).
* In between you can check the seasoning and make adjustments.
* When done, remove from the oven and let it cool. Blitz with a hand blender if you want a smooth texture. I used the back of a spoon and kept it chunky. 
Before serving, garnish the sauce with a few sprigs of basil.
The first thing I did was cook some pasta for lunch. I loved it and there isn't that much of a difference between the usual red tomato sauce and this green one. And now I'm thinking that this will go great with our rotis and puris too.:)
The quantity of chilli flakes and ground pepper will depend on personal taste.
Post a Comment