Saturday, March 19, 2016

Lemon & Poppy Seed Loaf Cake (With Lemon Glaze & Pansy Flowers)

Lemon & poppy seed loaf cake with lemon glaze and pansies
I have a fascination for edible flowers but there aren't that many blooms in my containers that I can happily use as a garnish for my cooking. I did grow pansies years ago when I didn't know they served a dual purpose. With my three plants flourishing in one pot, I thought it would be a good idea to decorate this lemony cake dotted with toasted poppy seeds with the colour purple.

Whereas nasturtiums are slightly pungent, pansies have a mild taste. I heard that the sepals can also be consumed. For me I prefer sticking to petals. Whole blooms look so beautiful on salads...I have been drooling over several images...
Out of the oven
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup butter at room temperature + extra for greasing the loaf tin

3 tbs lemon juice
2 level tbs toasted poppy seeds

For the glaze: I got the recipe here.
1 3/4 cups of icing sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp salted butter

Butter and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
Sieve the flour with the baking powder.
Cream the butter and the sugar till it turns pale and fluffy.
Add the eggs one after the other, mixing the next after the previous one has been incorporated in the mixture.
Add the lemon juice and the poppy seeds and mix.
Fold in the flour/baking powder mix.
Pour the batter in the prepared tin.
Tap the tin to remove any air bubbles and bake in a 180C oven for 30-35 minutes.
Remove when the cake is golden brown or when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from the pan after 10 minutes. The liner makes it easy to do this.
Mix the ingredients for the glaze until no lumps remain.
Prick little holes all across the surface with a skewer then pour the glaze on top when the cake is still slightly warm.
Garnish with the pansies.
Enjoy! 

The glaze looks thin because as I poured the lemon juice, more than what was stated in the recipe accidentally went in. I could have increased the amount of icing sugar but I left it at that. I think it was good enough with the juice and the grated rind cutting down the sweetness. For the benefit of the pictures I picked up some dried and withered blooms and scattered them around the platter.
This tastes wonderful with a cup of afternoon tea. What otherwise would have been just another plain cake got an uplift with the addition of these few blooms. Flower power.:)
Post a Comment