Thursday, April 7, 2016

Starfruit & Saffron Upside-down Cake

Upside-down starfruit/saffron cake with a dollop of yogurt
This cake was made a while ago but I'm posting it now. When my little tree bears these sweet fruits, I love to put them into a cake first. Other recipes can come later but first it's on a sweet note.
I just got back from a short trip to my hometown where I had gone to vote for the MLA elections. My brother-in-law happens to be the BJP candidate for the post. The house was full of people with both party workers and supporters and on some days it was chaotic. Now we'll only have to sit and wait for the results on May 19.
Coming back to my cake, I also used a pinch of saffron in my recipe.
The topping:
I used 4 medium sized ripe starfruits. Remove the hard edges and the ends. Slice up the fruit and discard the seeds. It doesn't matter if a few seeds remain.
Heat 6 tsps sugar in a pan on low heat till it caramelises. Pour the caramel in a baking tin and give the tin a little swirl so that the bottom is covered with caramel.
Layer the prepared fruit pieces making sure there are no gaps.  

For the cake:
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup butter at room temperature
3 eggs
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of saffron
A little milk depending on the consistency of the batter
(I used a 9" tin)

Sieve the flour with the baking powder.
Cream the butter and the sugar using a whisk.
Add the eggs one by one beating them well into the mixture.
Add the vanilla extract and the saffron.
Fold in the flour and transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin.
Give a little tap to remove air bubbles and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or so till a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let the cake cool down a bit before you turn it upside down on to a serving dish or plate.

In my earlier days I never came across sweet starfruits. They were always acidic and seemed fit for chutneys and pickles. But with the sweet ones I can also use a slice or two as a topping or a garnish on the whipped cream or a dollop of unsweetened yogurt.
I'm taking a short break from blogging as I'm leaving for Delhi tomorrow to spend a week with my younger son. I'll surely be back with my regular visiting when I return.
Post a Comment