Friday, May 6, 2016

Mawa Cake


Mawa cake
Mawa cake
Although I have known about mawa cakes I had never been tempted to make them before. All that changed when I visited Moumita Malla's blog Bongtaste recently. I couldn't wait to get started. Instead of using a muffin mould I used a round tin and I was pretty happy with the way the cake turned out.
Mawa, also known as khoya, is made by boiling milk till it is reduced to 1/4 of its volume. I used nearly 1 litre of full fat milk and kept it on medium flame. It's important to stir the milk constantly so it doesn't stick to the pan. By the time the milk was reduced to the desired quantity it turned into a thick granular paste.
1/2 cup mawa, raisins, cashew nuts and eggs
I made a few tweaks with the measurements resorting to the way I usually bake cakes.:)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup mawa
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted + extra for greasing the cake tin
milk, as needed
1 tsp baking powder
11/2 cups all-purpose flour+ extra for dusting the tin
2 cardamom pods, seeds removed and ground (the covering/skin can be kept in your tea container for that hint of cardamom in your cuppa)
1/2 cup raisins, wash and pat dry with a kitchen towel, then chop coarsely
10-15 cashews, split lengthwise
Method: 
Grease the cake tin and dust it with flour. Preheat the oven to 180C.
Sieve the flour with the baking powder and set aside.
Blend the mawa, melted butter and eggs till well mixed.
Fold in the flour/baking powder mix. Add some milk, if required, to get the consistency you need.
Add the raisins and mix.
Pour the batter in the prepared tin and give it a little tap on your worktop to remove any air bubbles.
Place the cashews all across the surface and bake for 35-40 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

I have always found cardamom extremely overpowering and I usually reduce the mentioned quantity from recipes. But I do have a plant growing in my garden. The other day I was thrilled to notice these pretty blooms on the plant. The stalk was bent with all the recent rain and wind.

Because one slice is not enough!!
It's cake but it's also like like digging into one of our typically Indian milk-based sweets. I'm glad that my friend Chandana stopped by today and I could pack a few pieces for her children. And tomorrow I'm meeting my sisters...glad I'll be armed with mawa cake!!
Post a Comment