Sunday, June 26, 2016

Pesto Bread Rolls

Pesto bread rolls
Pesto bread rolls
As I type this I can see my jamun tree with only a few fruits left. Seasons come and go but for food bloggers, each one is a delight with the produce it brings. I have done my fair bit of experimenting with the purple fruits but now it's time to turn again to my basil plants and incorporate the leaves in my cooking.
Pesto is the obvious choice as it's so delicious and easy to make. The other day I made these bread rolls stuffed with pesto. There were made in two batches but nothing remained as rice was momentarily forgotten and we (my elder son and I) feasted on these bread rolls. My husband isn't a fan of bread.:( This recipe is enough for 12-14 rolls depending on the thickness that you like/cut.

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour+extra for dusting
1 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
300 ml lukewarm water
A quarter tsp salt
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
1 cup pesto (I had made the pesto earlier with almonds)
1 beaten egg mixed with a tablespoon of milk

Pesto bread rolls

Method: 
Place some of the water in a small bowl.
Add the yeast and the sugar. Or any sweetener like honey to activate the yeast.
Keep it aside till it froths up. This will take about 10 minutes.
Sieve the flour and place it in a large bowl. Add the salt and a glug of extra virgin olive oil.  
Pour the yeast mixture and bring it together. Add some more water if needed. I didn't need to use up all the lukewarm water.
Tip the contents on your work surface and knead for about 8 minutes till the dough is soft and elastic.
Grease the bowl that you had used earlier and tip the dough into it.
Cover with clingfilm and keep in a warm place till the dough doubles in size.
This will take about 45 minutes.
Take it out on the work surface that has been dusted with flour. Knead for a second and roll out in a rectangular shape.
Spread the pesto all across the dough. Then roll it away from you as tightly as you can.
With a sharp knife cut the 'rolls' according to the size you like.
Place each one on your baking dish. I didn't bother to grease the baking dish as there is enough olive oil in the pesto which ensures that the rolls do not stick to the pan.
Leave to rise for another 25-30 minutes.
Brush with egg-wash and  bake in a preheated 180C oven for about 20 minutes or till they are golden brown.
These rolls taste best when they are still warm.
The olive oil in the pesto makes these buns extra soft. It was a joy to bite into these rolls. 

Pesto bread rolls

About a week ago I had tried out this recipe but the pesto was concentrated in the middle of the rolls. That didn't look so good but the taste was heavenly!
Post a Comment