Saturday, July 9, 2016

Chocolate-dipped Madeleines

Madeleines dipped in white and dark chocolate and coated with toasted/sliced almonds
I have been spending time with some of the books I had bought ever since I started blogging about food. One of them is Richard Bertinet's Patisserie Maison. The other one is Pastry by the same author. The inspiration usually comes by looking at the beautiful images and I couldn't resist making these little French cakes, madeleines. I have made them a few times and there are two posts here and here.
World Chocolate Day went by and that reminded me of the chocolate I had recently bought and was yet to use...And these little French cakes were born.:) It's always easier to make the smaller versions of cakes or pies for that matter and it's a welcome treat for anyone who might drop by. After all home-made goodies are loved by all!
The recipe isn't much different from what I have made earlier but here are the ingredients for 24 madeleines. I halved the recipe and made 12 in my mould. My mould isn't one of those elongated ones you might see in French kitchens. It's more of a 'short and stout' shell.:)

4 eggs
50g honey
180g caster sugar
275g all-purpose flour
25g baking powder
250g butter and some extra for greasing the moulds
zest of half a lemon
For the decoration I used a bit of dark chocolate and some white chocolate. The recipe used crushed and roasted hazelnuts but I used some almonds. 
Method:
Put the sugar, eggs, flour and honey in a bowl. Whisk together and set aside in the fridge for about four hours or overnight. I chose the latter.
Beat the butter with the lemon zest till it softens. Take the mixture from the fridge and add it to the butter. Mix till well incorporated.
Grease the madeleine mould and with the help of a spoon, transfer the batter to the 'shells'.
I made mine in two batches as my mould only has six 'shells'. 
Bake in a preheated (at 190C) oven. Bring the temperature down to 170C and bake for 12-15 minutes. They should be well-risen and golden brown.
To decorate, toast whatever nuts you are using and cut/crush them. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and dip the rounded ends of the cakes in the melted chocolate. Immediately coat the chocolate end of the cake with the nuts. Place on a wire rack to set. 
These go so well with tea or coffee. And they taste the best the day they are made.
Post a Comment