Thursday, July 28, 2016

Pineapple & Starfruit Pie

Pineapple & starfruit pie
Pineapple & starfruit pie
Apart from baking with yeast, I have also been trying out leafy and floral pie crusts. Not all of them get blogged about as something (minor) goes wrong and I notice that a strip of lattice has somehow managed to play truant. And sometimes the pie gets a little too brown before I reach for the foil etc, etc! 
I had two sweet pineapples ready to be eaten and instead of using regular apples (Poor us! Do we have a choice when it comes to fruits for baking?!!) I decided to use the smaller pineapple. But since the quantity was not enough for my 8" pie pan, I decided to add a few starfruits from my small tree.
Pineapple & starfruit pie
Starfruits on my tree
My tree was planted in a large plastic drum and it hasn't disappointed. I often use the sweet fruits in baking, cooking as well as for gifting!
Ingredients:
For the pastry:
200 grams flour, sieved
100 grams cold butter, cubed
1 large egg+1 egg yolk with a bit of milk for the eggwash
Iced water for sprinkling
1 tsp grated lemon zest
Rub the butter into the flour till the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Break the egg into the mixture, add the lemon zest and bring the dough together.
At this point if you feel that the dough needs a little more moisture, sprinkle the iced water and let the dough come together.
Divide the dough into two separate balls. This makes it easier to work on the crust/base as the other half rests in the fridge untouched.
Flatten the balls, wrap them in clingfilm and let them rest for at least 40 minutes.
If I plan beforehand, I usually let the dough rest overnight.

The filling: 
1 medium pineapple
4 small starfruits
Sugar as per taste
A quarter tsp cinnamon powder
A dash of nutmeg
1/3 cup raisins
2 tbs all-purpose flour
Dots of butter to scatter on the filling + extra to grease the pan

Pineapple & starfruit pie
The filling: I use a similar sized pan for the measurement
 Method:
  • Take the dough from the fridge and let it come to a 'workable' temperature. Cut off some for the bottom of the pastry and roll it out a little bigger than the pie tin.With the help of the rolling pin,roll the dough and unfurl it on the tin. Press all along the bottom of the tin and trim off the overhanging dough with the rolling pin.
  • Prick with a fork on the pastry surface and place it in the fridge to chill as you work on the filling.
  • Remove both ends of the pineapple and cut into half and into quarters. With a sharp knife, peel off the skin. Remove the hard core and remove all 'eyes'.
  • Chop into small pieces and transfer the pieces to a pan. I removed some of the juice as it would have been too much.
  • Add the sugar, cinnamon, and grated nutmeg and cook till the fruit turns a little softer but not mushy. Check sweetness and adjust accordingly.
  • Remove both ends of the starfruits and the hard edges where the fruit juts out. Slice into 'stars'. Add them to the cooled pineapple. These need not be cooked. Add the raisins as well.
  • Add the flour and mix well. This will soak the juices and the pie bottom will not be soggy. Set the filling aside.
  • Take the pastry bottom from the fridge and place the prepared filling in it.
  • Dot with butter.
Pineapple & starfruit pie
Working on the crust
For the crust, I made a half lattice and filled the edges with leaves.The other half was plain rolled out dough to which I added more leaves. With the remaining dough I made a few tendrils.
Pineapple & starfruit pie
Brushed with egg yolk/milk...ready for the oven

Then the crust was brushed with egg yolk/milk mixture and it went in a preheated oven at 220C for 10 minutes. I brought the temperature down to 190C and baked it for another 25 minutes. It had browned a little too soon...before I covered the top with foil. Things always do not go as smoothly as we'd like them to be!!
Pineapple & starfruit pie
Pineapple & starfruit pie is ready!!
Finally it was out. A little too brown, a little too 'done'. But pineapple pie with starfruits from my tree. I wasn't complaining. It was just a wee bit tangy but still good. The pastry dough had grated lemon zest in it and that also made a difference. A satisfying experience. And if I look back on this day I'll remember the joy I got in creating this pie...filling, crust and all. A quiet afternoon in my kitchen was never more rewarding!
Post a Comment