Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Falafel With Tzatziki Dip

Falafel & tzatziki dip

I haven't explored much of Middle Eastern cuisine but there are a few that I love and try to make as often as I can. From one of 'those few', it's falafel that I combine with tzatziki. I'm also in the process of  using up most of my stock as we are making  another trip to Delhi. This time it's for health reasons. My husband hasn't been keeping well lately (high pressure and diabetes) and a proper check-up is due. 

Ingredients: I got 21 falafel balls from this quantity.
250 grams chickpeas/Kabuli chana (soaked overnight)
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
Freshly grated black pepper, as per taste
1 tsp baking powder
Salt to taste
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
1 bunch of coriander leaves and stems, chopped
3 green chillies (optional)
Vegetable oil to fry
Falafel & Tzatziki dip
A plateful of falafels, the coarse paste, and what they look like when halved

Method: 
Drain the chickpeas and coarsely grind them in the mixer. I added the onions salt, garlic, chillies and pepper as well.
Remove and transfer contents to a bowl.  
Season with salt and add the baking powder, all-purpose flour and the chopped leaves and stems of coriander. Shape the mixture into balls and flatten them a bit.
Heat enough oil in a kadhai. Gently drop one in the oil to test whether it holds its shape or breaks. 
Add a few more falafel balls and fry on a medium flame so that they are evenly cooked, turning once for even browning.
Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
Repeat till all the falafel balls are fried.
Snack on these when still warm dipping them into a sauce.

Tzatziki:  
To serve the falafels I made tzatziki dip using....
1 cup of strained yoghurt
1 small cucumber, peeled and grated and the water squeezed out
Salt to taste
2 cloves of garlic peeled, crushed and chopped to bits
Freshly grated black pepper, as per taste
A drizzle of extra virgin olive olive oil
Mint leaves as a garnish

Combine all the ingredients except the last two, till homogeneous. Drizzle the olive oil on top and garnish with a few mint leaves/sprigs.

I have also stuffed falafel into home-made pita bread. But the pitas didn't look that good on that particular day so I'll have another go at it later before I can blog about it.:) The water that is squeezed out from grated cucumber makes a refreshing drink with the addition of rock salt, a bit of water and more mint!
Post a Comment