Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Simplest Chia Pudding Parfait


Although I have read much about chia seeds, this is the first I am using them in my kitchen. One can't help but join the bandwagon when the world is talking and posting about it!:) You can barely see the seeds here because I went a little overboard with the topping. But apart from the afterthought of the semi-sweet chocolate chips, this is only sweetened by four dried figs.
Chia is an edible seed that comes from the plant Salvia hispanica grown in Mexico dating back to Mayan and Aztec cultures. Chia contains antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein and fiber. If you want to know more about the health benefits and nutritional information of chia seeds, you could check out this site.
Chia seeds
I got a small packet of chia seeds on my last trip to Delhi and couldn't wait to try it. At INA market where we also bought different varieties of nuts and dried fruits, the person who was selling it told me that a few years ago nobody knew about it but now everybody wants to buy chia seeds. The first time I tried it was with full fat milk and sweetened with honey. The proportion wasn't right so the mixture was liquid-y. But the next time round I checked up online for the measurement/ratio and got it right. First I made the almond milk by soaking 1 cup of almonds. Later I ground them up, added water and squeezed out the milk with the help of a cheesecloth. The result was lovely almond milk as seen below.
Freshly-made almond milk
Ingredients: (this serves 4)
For chia pudding
1/2 cup chia seeds
2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 dried figs, soaked for about 30 minutes
For the parfait 
2 bananas, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup broken-into-bits walnuts
1 tsp semi-sweet chocolate chips

Ready to do its own thing in the fridge
Method:
Blitz the soaked figs in the grinder. Remove and transfer to a bowl.
Add the almond milk, vanilla extract and the chia seeds. Mix well.
Keep in the fridge overnight.
Chia seeds need to be soaked for at least a couple of hours but I left the mix overnight as I was planning a healthy breakfast the next morning. Like I said the chocolate chips were added on impulse and I thought they would make the topping look better.
Toast the broken bits of walnuts in a tawa for a few minutes till they let out a fragrant nutty aroma.
Place a tablespoon of the chia pudding at the bottom of the glass/mason jar, layer with sliced bananas, top with more chia pudding. Add sliced bananas, walnuts and chocolate chips to the topmost layer. Your chia pudding parfait is ready.
 

Dishes like this one can be so forgiving as you can use whatever is in season when it comes to layering. Wish I could have added more colour but I made do with what I had in hand. The colour comes from my little pink ixora that's blooming now.:)
This is indeed such a healthy snack. There's more in the fridge as my husband found it too sweet. His wasn't served with chocolate chips and bananas. I'm looking forward to more variations with what is left in the fridge.
Nothing goes to waste. The almond meal goes into this banana/chocolate loaf cake
And after making the almond milk, I was left with almost a cup of almond meal. And that went into the making of this loaf cake with bananas. The crushed chocolate bits were scattered on the top of the batter just before the tin went into the oven.
Post a Comment