Saturday, September 10, 2016

Roasted Beetroot Raita

Roasted Beet Raita
Roasted Beet Raita
This raita was on my mind for a while. But it so happens that beetroot does not feature that often in my kitchen. On the occasions that I cook it, it's usually in roasted form and in salads. The other day I made a simple soup and the two remaining beets were used for this dish.

Ingredients:
2 small beetroots, roasted in the oven
11/2 cups thick yogurt
Rock salt to taste
A pinch of fine sugar
A dash of cumin powder, toasted and ground
1 small green chilli, chopped fine
Some chopped mint leaves and a couple of sprigs for the garnish

While baking bread, I tossed in two small beets in the oven for about 25 minutes. After the beets cooled down I removed the skin, cut them up and blitzed them.  I did leave a few pieces for the garnish.
Method: 
Beat the yogurt till creamy.
Add the blitzed beets, rock salt, chilli, cumin and the sugar. Whisk again.
Chill for about 20-30 minutes.
Before serving, decorate with the remaining pieces of sliced beets and mint leaves. 
This raita goes very well with pulao, biryani and Indian flat breads.

Other beet recipes on my blog:
Roasted Beet & Plum Salad
Beetroot Brownies  
Cherry Tomato & Roasted Beet Salad
Post a Comment