Thursday, January 12, 2017

Stuffed Hyacinth Bean Fritters

Stuffed Hyacinth Bean Fritters

I came across this recipe sometime back and couldn't wait to try it. But I had to wait for this season when the markets are flooded with hyacinth beans in all kinds of shapes and colours. Some tend to be pale green and some come in darker shades. And there are some that have more of purple than green on them.
Like every new produce they go into fish curry, chutney, khari and into vegetable dishes. I felt there wasn't anything new I could try with them. So when I came across this recipe on Hamaree Rasoi, it made me wonder why I hadn't thought about such a recipe before.:)
Stuffed hyacinth bean fritters

A cousin brought this bunch of beans when he came over for dinner the other night. I chose the tender ones where the seeds weren't fully matured. For addition to curries, I love the mature seeds. And later, when the season ends, the seeds are sold in the markets. They can be cooked like other pulses with or without the addition of fish or meat.
For the fritters, I'm not adding the recipe in detail here. Please check the link given above. To serve 4-5 people you'll need 10-15 tender hyacinth beans. The beans were blanched till half done. Then they were drained  in a colander and then spread on a kitchen towel as I got the stuffing and the batter ready.
Different kinds of hyacinth beans & the pretty blooms
I had some left-over paste of mustard and poppy seeds for a fish curry I had made the day before. So it was convenient. I only added a tablespoon of grated coconut, a couple of green chillies and some salt and sugar for the balance. Mustard tends to be pungent if the proportion is not right.
The beans were gently prised open with the help of a knife and a bit of stuffing was placed in each. Then they were dipped in a batter of chickpea flour and rice flour to which I added some paprika, salt, and a sprinkling of nigella seeds.
Stuffed and ready to be dipped in batter and fried
The stuffed beans were dipped in the batter and fried on medium flame till golden brown on both sides. These went very well with dal, rice and a simple cucumber salad. The addition of rice flour to the batter gave it a lovely crunch as well.

Post a Comment