Monday, February 6, 2017

Matcha Cake With Chocolate Frosting & Candied Pansies

Matcha cake with chocolate frosting and candied pansies

This was a week ago. When we had a sudden shower at night, my first thought was about how glad I was that I had picked my pansies during the day. Or the rain would have caused some damage to the delicate petals that I had so gently picked to decorate this cake. I had made the same kind of cake a few weeks ago for a family meet and it was well appreciated. And this time we were expecting guests all the way from Germany, friends of my sons, and I thought this would make a good 'welcome' cake.
I started with the flowers. Since drying them takes some time, I did not wash them after they were picked. But in the morning while watering my plants I sprinkled a lot of water on them so they were as good as 'washed'.
Candied pansies

Then they were placed on a platter and I brushed each with egg white. Then I dusted icing sugar on them and they were left to dry for about 4 hours. In the meanwhile I made the cake.

Ingredients:
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons matcha powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 grams butter at room temperature + extra for greasing your cake tin
I used a 7" round cake tin

Sift the flour, matcha powder and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
Cream the butter and the sugar till the mixture becomes pale and fluffy.
Add one egg and mix till it is well incorporated in the mixture. Repeat the process with the other two eggs.
Add the milk and mix again.
Fold in the flour/matcha powder/baking powder mix.
Transfer the batter into the greased tin and bake in a preheated 180C oven for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Remove and let it cool. Then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack.

For the chocolate frosting:
200 grams dark chocolate
200 ml cream (I used Amul Fresh Cream)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Break the chocolate into small pieces by putting it in a plastic bag and bashing it with a rolling pin.
Melt the chocolate on a double boiler. Make sure that no lumps remain.
Add the cream and the vanilla extract, Give it a good mix and set aside till it cools down. 
Assembling the cake:
As soon as the cake is cool enough to be handled, cut it into two vertically.
Cut the 'dome' from the top so that the surface is even.
If you feel that the cake is a little dry you can add some sugar syrup all across the surface of the two 'roundels'.
Place the bottom part on a plate and pour the frosting on it. Spread it with the help of a palette knife.
Now place the next layer and pour the remaining frosting. Cover the sides with the help of the knife with the frosting.
Place the candied pansies all across the surface of the cake.
Let the cake remain in the fridge till the frosting is 'set'.
Candied pansies

Our guests loved the cake. And they loved the flowers! It was worth making this cake. Despite its simplicity, the pretty edible blooms made all the difference. And no prizes for guessing which annuals yours truly will be growing again next year.:)
Post a Comment