Thursday, May 4, 2017

Challah Bread

Challah bread
Fresh out of the oven challah
One particular bread on my mind was challah. According to Wiki, challah is a special ceremonial Jewish bread, usually braided, and eaten on Sabbath and other Jewish holidays.
Bread that has eggs, sugar and oil cannot taste anything besides delicious! With images of challah floating on cyberspace, I had to bake it. For the recipe, I checked out several sites before baking. One of my go-to sites is one that needs no introduction...The Kitchn.:)

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
2 tsp yeast
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten + one yolk for the egg wash
4 cups flour (but another half cup must have gone in as I started kneading)
Time to divide the dough and braid 
In a large bowl add the water, yeast, vegetable oil, sugar and salt. Whisk till well-mixed. Then add the flour and bring it together.
Tip the contents on a lightly dusted surface and start kneading. I wouldn’t know anything about kneading the dough using a food processor because I do all the kneading by hand.
Knead for about 10-15 minutes.
When the dough becomes smooth and elastic, place it in the same bowl used earlier by greasing the bottom of the bowl with oil or butter.
Keep in a warm place and leave to rise till double in size.
Punch the dough gently and transfer to a floured surface. Cut into three equal sizes.
Roll the ropes lengthwise till you get even lengths.

Then start braiding. Many braided loves are done with four or six 'ropes' but I’m happy if I can do it with three.
Before the braiding gets done I always imagine that it will be a lovely braid but it’s easier said than done. Always.
Lift the braided bread on a tray lined with parchment paper.
Leave to rise for another thirty minutes.
I covered it with a large (inverted) bowl during this period.
Brush with the egg yolk (beaten) and bake in a preheated 180 C oven till golden. This will take about 30-35 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack before serving.
We had the bread for breakfast as well as a snack and I set about 10 slices aside for bread pudding. I left the crusts on as they created a pattern on the pudding. And to use home-baked bread for bread pudding is a good feeling.:)


The pudding was inspired by a TV series titled "The Incredible Spice Men" and this one has its fair share of nutmeg, cardamom, some cinnamon and saffron. The last came from my recent purchase from the saffron fields of Pampore in Kashmir.

The recipe for this pudding has been included in my earlier post. I also added some candied roses to the pudding. Here's the link:
Post a Comment