Saturday, May 13, 2017

Date & Almond Cookies


This was a post in my draft list so it wasn't something I made recently. I haven't been very active here but on my Facebook page, I try to put in some time every single day.:)
The first time I made these cookies, I followed the recipe down to the last detail, This is from an old issue of BBC Good Food magazine.

Ingredients: 
11/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
8 tbsp, unsalted butter
3 tbsp iced water
3/4 cup pitted dates
1/3 cups almonds + extra to garnish
Zest of 1 orange
Juice of half an orange
1/2 tsp milk
2 tsp honey
The mixture
Method:
~Combine the flour and sugar. Mix well. I used a hand whisk.
Add the butter and mix till crumbly.
Drizzle the mixture with iced water.
Bring it together. Cover and chill for about 20 minutes.

~In a mixer, add the dates, almonds, the orange zest and juice. Pulse until coarsely ground.

~ Heat the oven to 170 C. Form 11/2 inch balls from the dough and flatten each into 2" discs. Place one heaped teaspoon of the filling on each. Fold in half into a semi-circle and press to flatten slightly. Repeat till the dough and filling are used up. Place each on a tray lined with a baking sheet with a distance of two inches in between.

~ Mix the milk and honey and brush over the cookies. Place one whole almond in the middle of the cookie. Press gently so that it's embedded in the dough.
Bake for about 20 minutes till golden brown.

~ Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and brush with the glaze again. Serve after  15 minutes or so.

These taste delicious with a cup of tea or coffee. When I made them for the first time (the first picture), they looked really good. But the second time (pictured above), I used my regular left-over pastry dough. Not great looks-wise but the taste was great!
Post a Comment