Thursday, May 25, 2017

Orange Yogurt Cake


Regular visitors to my space know that I have my limitations with cake and stick to the simplest ones. Here's another one that falls in that category. But when it comes to the taste, it's wonderful. I came across the recipe in Ariana Bundy's book, Pomegranates and Roses.
In the book, she calls it Cakeh Mamani/Grandmother's Yogurt Cake. Lemon zest is added to the mix. I have made that version too but today's post is the orange one. The power went off as soon as the cake went into the preheated oven. It came back after an hour! I thought the result would be disastrous but it was still good. Our state's erratic power supply couldn't beat the love the went into the baking of this cake!!
I made a few adaptations with the measurements.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of bicarbonate of soda
A pinch of salt
Zest of 1 orange
1 cup caster sugar
2 medium eggs, at room temperature
75 g melted butter+extra for greasing the tin (can be substituted with olive oil or safflower oil)
1 cup full fat yogurt (I strained a 400 g container of yogurt overnight to get 1 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
Grease a 9" tin with butter. I used a springform tin. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl.
A slice of yogurt cake, orange zest/sugar and the tin, ready for the oven

In another bowl, whisk the sugar with the orange zest for a few seconds. This will release the oils from the zest.
Add the eggs and whisk till well-mixed.
Whisk in the butter or oil, vanilla extract and yogurt.
Fold in the flour and mix but do not overbeat.
Pour the batter in the prepared tin and bake for about 30-35 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Take it out of the oven and leave to cool. Don't leave it for long as 'the cake will steam and become gooey'.
Flip the tin over and invert it on a cooling rack.
This is best eaten at room temperature.
Made earlier...with lemon zest
This cake is absolutely delicious! This is the third time I have made it. On two earlier occasions, I had used lemon zest. 
Post a Comment